Monday, March 29, 2010

Breakthrough

So, last week I volunteered Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. I was having a rough time for the first two days I went into the school for volunteering. The previous week, the teacher for period 2-6 (math and science teacher) got injured during an altercation between two students. So, taking advantage of the teacher's absence students went crazy with the substitutes; however, on Thursday the teacher was back to work and I decided to begin my plan. The plan was to go out to the hallway during math period to work one-on-one with the student I'm helping. As usual, class started with a math warm-up. I sense the student becoming a bit distracted so I told him immediately we would go out to the hallway (of course he frown!). While the rest of the class worked on the problems and figure out the answers, we worked on the problems also and to my surprise it went so smooth. I knew he was smart and that all he needed is to have a place were he would not be distracted so easily. I felt so proud of him and told him so. Once done with all five problems we went back inside the classroom.

During break, I showed the teacher his ability to do work and understand the material. I think I was more interested in proving that he was capable to work on his own with a little push and motivation as well as a quiet area to work. Being that he speaks very little English, he finds himself wondering what people are saying or why they are laughing as he does not completely understand what is going on around him. Again I see my self in him all the time as I used to feel lost. I feel so bad for him as most children that do speak English tend to not pay attention to him or just ignored him all together at times. I mean they are not necessarily mean on purpose, but the lack of communication makes it difficult for children to become interested in having or keeping a conversation with him. The only time I see some sort of interaction is when he has candy which he always have with him. Overall, I sense a certain amount of respect between him and his peers.

I hope to continue to see this sense of encouragement and motivation from him. I know teaching will be much different than volunteering, but having this small breakthroughs make me feel a sense of joy as I can see him get a small sense of pride within himself. I guess I'm starting to really understand the joy of teaching and the fulfillment that can be felt upon. I know I will face challenges along the way but I have been a positive person for the most part while growing up. Hopefully, I will continue to be positive regardless of the downer moments I might be facing because the small breakthroughs mean so much more.

I almost forgot to mentioned that Stephen's tri tip dinner was a definite success. I want to thank everyone that supported him. The profit was approximately $6,000. I'm so amazed on how all the mom's came together and basically put the entire event together. The support in this community is a BIG blow of fresh air in a good sense. We never felt the support and willingness to help at the previous school he coached at as we have felt it in Tracy. I'm truly looking forward in getting to know these families as they are really a great group of people that support each other in every aspect as a community should. Maybe that is why there is so much success in this group of players not only will they play ball but their support toward one another is felt present.

3 comments: